History of the Musical Art Society

The Musical Art Society (f. 1912), a Cleveland area women's music club dedicated to "harmony" and performance of the musical arts, was organized on October 18, 1912, at the home of Mrs. J. E. Hikes of Lee Avenue. Performance and audition standards were criteria for admission of members. The bi-monthly meetings, held at members' homes, included a vocal and instrumental performance and the presentation of papers on composers or musical topics. The society also sponsored musical and cultural events and offered scholarships to promising young musicians and vocalists in the Cleveland area. The society is still in existence and members continue to meet and perform in members' homes.