Finding aid for the Shaarey Tikvah Congregation Records, Series II


Title:
Shaarey Tikvah Congregation Records, Series II
Repository:
Western Reserve Historical Society
Phone: 216-721-5722
http://www.wrhs.org
Creator:
Shaarey Tikvah Congregation
Dates:
1986-1999
Quantity:
0.20 linear feet (1 container)
Abstract:
Shaarey Tikvah Congregation was founded in 1940 in Cleveland, Ohio, by a group of German Jewish refugees. In its first ten years, the congregation met in four different buildings in Cleveland. In 1950, the congregation purchased the Heights Presbyterian Church in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, and changed its name to Mayfield Temple. In 1970, the congregation merged with Hillcrest Synagogue B'nai Israel and moved to its building in Mayfield Heights, Ohio. The merged congregation was called Mayfield Hillcrest Synagogue, and had the Hebrew name Shaarey Tikvah - B'nai Israel. In 1986, the congregation moved to Beachwood, Ohio. It became the first conservative congregation in Beachwood and changed its name back to Shaarey Tikvah, which means "gates of hope." Shaarey Tikvah associated with the Conservative movement in 1957. Rabbis who served the congregation were Hans Zucker, 1940-1942; Manfred Strauss, 1942-1946; Enoch H. Kronheim, 1946-1957; Jacob Shtull, 1958-1994; Gary Robuck, 1994-2003; and Edward C. Bernstein, 2003-2011. The collection consists of bulletins, correspondence, a directory, flyers, lists, pamphlets, programs, and speech texts.
Identification:
MS 5119
Location:
closed stacks
Language:
The records are in English