Finding aid for the General Motors Corporation, Fisher Body Division, Plant No. 1 Records


Title:
General Motors Corporation, Fisher Body Division, Plant No. 1 Records
Repository:
Western Reserve Historical Society
Phone: 216-721-5722
http://www.wrhs.org
Creator:
General Motors Corporation, Fisher Body Division, Plant No. 1
Dates:
1920-1983
Quantity:
1.10 linear feet (2 containers)
Abstract:
The Fisher Body Division, Plant No. 1, was a Cleveland, Ohio, automobile plant opened in 1921 as part of the Fisher Body Company, producing automobile bodies. In 1926 it became part of General Motors Corporation. During World War II the plant produced tank and gun parts and engine parts for airplanes, wartime employment totaling 14,000, including a large number of women. After the war the plant produced large stamping dies and upholstery and trim sets rather than auto bodies. GM closed the plant in 1983. The plant was involved in several bitter strikes during the 1930s, including the 1936-1937 sit-down strike to gain union recognition by GM, which began at the plant. The plant was also known as the Coit Road Plant. The collection consists of correspondence and notices, building permits and floor plans, in-house newspapers, union correspondence and notices, and union publications. There is also a large collection of newspaper clippings relating to General Motors products, labor activities, and the closing of the plant.
Identification:
MS 4310
Location:
closed stacks
Language:
The records are in English