History of the American Jewish Committee, Cleveland Chapter

The American Jewish Committee was founded in 1906 in New York, New York, as an advocacy organization promoting Jewish rights worldwide. It focuses its attention on the support of Israel and efforts against anti-Semitism. Other areas of focus include promoting pluralism and shared democratic values, supporting Israel's quest for peace and security, advocating for energy independence for the United States, and strengthening Jewish life. The American Jewish Committee currently has thirty-two active chapters throughout the United States. The Cleveland, Ohio, chapter of the Committee was founded in 1944 under the leadership of Max Freedman. It has had a continued presence in local culture throughout its history, establishing dialogues and cooperation with several ethnic and religious communities in Cleveland and throughout the world.