Finding aid for the Cleveland Military Units Records


Title:
Cleveland Military Units Records
Repository:
Western Reserve Historical Society
Phone: 216-721-5722
http://www.wrhs.org
Creator:
Cleveland Military Units
Dates:
1877-1964
Quantity:
8.0 linear feet (20 containers)
Abstract:
Troop A was founded in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1877 as an independent military unit to defend against strikers and unruly mobs. It affiliated with the Ohio National Guard in 1877, formed part of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Cavalry in 1898, was absorbed into the 135th Field Artillery in 1918, and reorganized in 1920 as Troop A of the 107th Cavalry Regiment of the Ohio National Guard. It became part of the 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1947. The Cleveland Gatling Gun Battery was also founded in 1877 to quell labor violence. It disbanded by 1905. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, invoices, vouchers, financial statements and reports, ledger sheets, legal documents and briefs, newspaper clippings, blueprints, and maps of the 1st Cleveland Cavalry (Troop A); constitution, by-laws, minutes, financial accounts, rosters, booklets of memoranda and statistical information, and other materials of the Cleveland Gatling Gun Battery; and records of the Troop A Armory Company, the Cavalry Riding Academy, and the Cavalry Veteran Association.
Identification:
MS 3000
Language:
The records are in English