Finding aid for the Cleveland Military Units Records, Series II


Title:
Cleveland Military Units Records, Series II
Repository:
Western Reserve Historical Society
Phone: 216-721-5722
http://www.wrhs.org
Creator:
Cleveland Military Units
Dates:
1877-1973
Quantity:
3.50 linear feet (7 containers)
Abstract:
Troop A was founded in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1877 as an independent military unit to defend against strikers and unruly mobs. It affiliated with the Ohio National Guard in 1887, formed part of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Cavalry in 1898, was absorbed into the 135th Field Artillery in 1918 and reorganized in 1920 as Troop A of the 107th Cavalry Regiment of the Ohio National Guard. It became part of the 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1947. The Cleveland Gatling Gun Battery was founded in 1877 to quell labor violence also. It disbanded by 1905. The Riding Club Company was founded in 1891 as an equestrian and social club. It dissolved in 1893. The collection consists of constitutions, minutes, correspondence, orders, financial records, publications and scrapbooks of Troop A, the Cleveland Gatling Gun Battery, and the Riding Club Company.
Identification:
MS 3985
Location:
closed stacks
Language:
The records are in English