Finding aid for the First Presbyterian Church of East Cleveland Records, Series II


Title:
First Presbyterian Church of East Cleveland Records, Series II
Repository:
Western Reserve Historical Society
Phone: 216-721-5722
http://www.wrhs.org
Creator:
First Presbyterian Church of East Cleveland
Dates:
1849-2009
Quantity:
4.01 linear feet (4 containers and 1 oversize folder)
Abstract:
The First Presbyterian Church of East Cleveland, Ohio, was founded in 1807 and was not only the first church, but also the first institution of any kind established in what would become Cuyahoga County. It was originally called the Church of Christ in Euclid, and was comprised of both Presbyterian and Congregationalist settlers from the New England area. The first spiritual leader was Reverend William Wick. The first services were held in the homes of parishioners, and a permanent home for the church, known as the Log Church, was built in 1810. In 1811, the church formally entered the Hartford, Connecticut Presbytery and was then an officially recognized Presbyterian church. The collection consists of bulletins, meeting minutes, administrative papers, historical narratives, event programs, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and sermons.
Identification:
MS 5202
Location:
closed stacks
Language:
The records are in English