Guide to the St. Elizabeth Hospital Records


Title:
St. Elizabeth Hospital Records
Repository:
Wright State University, Special Collections and Archives
Phone: 937-775-2092
http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/
Creator:
St. Elizabeth Hospital
Dates:
1878-2000
Bulk dates:
1940-2000
Quantity:
34 linear feet
Abstract:
The St. Elizabeth Hospital Records document the growth and expansion of the Franciscan Health Network in Dayton. The hospital was established in 1878 and founded as Dayton's first community hospital by the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor. Expansion and construction began in 1882 and continued throughout the hospital's existence. The collection includes photographs and negatives documenting this development overtime. The Nursing School was established at St. Elizabeth Hospital in 1929 and closed permanently in 1974. Class photographs of nursing school students are included in the main collection. St. Elizabeth Hospital became St. Elizabeth Medical Center in 1969, creating new publications and departments. Nineteen handwritten ledgers were used from 1878 through 1940 to document the admission, diagnosis, and discharge of patients. The collection also includes news articles, minutes for various meetings, financial reports, and additional photographs and negatives covering the period from 1878 to 2000. The hospital officially closed in 1999 and is now the Medical Center at Elizabeth Place. The collection does not include medical records.
Identification:
MS-497
Language:
The records are in English