Guide to the Malabar Farm Architectural Drawings


Title:
Malabar Farm Architectural Drawings
Repository:
Ohio History Connection
Phone: 614-297-2510
http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm4/index_aids.php?CISOROOT=/aids
Creator:
Lamoreux, Louis A.
Dates:
1939-1941
Bulk dates:
1939-1941
Quantity:
4 linear feet (47 drawings)
Abstract:
The collection consists of forty-seven architectural drawings by Louis A. Lamoreux for changes or additions to the "Main House" at Malabar Farm near Mansfield in Richland County, Ohio. The 32-room "Main House" at Malabar Farm in Richland County, Ohio was built in 1936 by Pulitzer Prize winning novelist Louis Bromfield (1896-1956). Also called the "Big House", the residence is a combination of traditional Western Reserve architecture and French Provincial design elements. It was designed by Bromfield with the assistance of architect, Louis A. Lamoreux. The house is furnished with original paintings, French antique furniture, custom wall paper, and many of Bromfield's personal belongings. The house has been preserved as Bromfield left it in 1956. For fourteen years Malabar Farm was operated by the Louis Bromfield Malabar Farm Foundation. When the Foundation faced foreclosure, the State of Ohio acquired the property as a gift to the state. Malabar Farm was operated jointly by Ohio's Department of Natural Resources and Department of Agriculture from 1972 to 1976. It officially became one of Ohio's state parks in 1976.
Identification:
AV 122
Location:
Ohio Historical Society
Language:
The records are in English