Finding aid for the Art Study Club Records


Title:
Art Study Club Records
Repository:
Sandusky Library
http://www.sanduskylib.org
Creator:
The Art Study Club
Dates:
1899-2009
Quantity:
1 cubic feet
Abstract:
The Art Study Club Collection is part of the Clubs & Organizations Collection at the Sandusky Library Archives. It contains both the official records of the club (accession #2009:5933) and a collection of miscellaneous documents that have been acquired by the library over the years. The Art Study Club was organized in 1901 to study and discuss art, and continues as an active organization at the time of this writing.
Identification:
#2009:5933
Location:
Sandusky Library Archives
Language:
The records are in English

History of The Art Study Club

The Art Study Club was organized in 1901. Alda E. Magoon was the founder and first president of the club, which had ten charter members. The purpose of the Art Study Club was "the study and discussion of art and the promotion of good fellowship among its members." Membership was limited to 20 active members, with additional honorary members permitted. Members in the Art Study Club were all women. Meetings were held on alternate Monday evenings from October through May, and members served as hostesses.

Each meeting had a theme or topic of study. Club members presented or discussed various aspects of the topic for that meeting. Areas of art presented were numerous and included painting, sculpture, drama, dance, commercial illustration, music, architecture, and stained glass. The club also discussed artists and travel and gave book reviews. Occasionally, the club took trips to museums and exhibitions held in Ohio.

The Art Study Club has shared their interest in art with the community also. They have provided speakers, slide presentations, and collections of art to the public. The club became part of the Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs in 1904. During the 1920s, the club arranged with the Chamber of Commerce for public art exhibitions to be held in the Masonic Temple. The Art Study Club donated to the Sandusky Library, in 1931, a watercolor painting by George Elwell. The painting is displayed at the Follett House Museum in the front parlor. In 1946, the Club sponsored a very successful exhibition, held at the Follett House, of paintings done by Sandusky artists. The Club continues to be active in 2009-10.

Scope and Content

The official records of the Art Study Club were donated in 2009, under the direction of the Club President, Rhonda Watt. These records include: eight journals of meeting minutes; a nearly-complete set of yearbooks; a Fifty-Year History of the Club; lists of past officers; copies of past constitutions and bylaws; 29 photographs; and a small collection of papers, including correspondence.

Additionally, the library holds miscellaneous documents relating to the Club. The largest part of this collection consists of the yearbooks, which serve as the yearly calendars. These booklets give information about the club's meetings, who served as hostess, the subjects studied, the membership lists, and the club's constitution. The calendars are examples of how the club's interests and structure evolved. See the Series Description below for a complete list of the calendars in this collection. The documents in this collection are arranged chronologically.

The exhibition program lists and invitations provide information about community activities the club sponsored. This collection also contains five photographs. The dates these photographs were taken is unknown, but some of the women are identified on the back of the photograph.

This collection is an example of the structure of women's clubs and their interests and activities. The Art Study Club Collection would be of particular interest to those interested in women's clubs, those interested in art, and those doing family research.

Statement of Arrangement

This collection is divided into five main categories:
Minutes- from 1923-2003 in the form of eight bound volumes
Yearbooks- from 1901-2010, missing 1951-1952,1983-1984, and 2001-2002
History- a handwritten history of the Art Study Club's first fifty years
Papers- three folders of miscellaneous papers
Photographs- 29 prints and 10 negative strips
Related Material: Related Material

A watercolor painting by George Elwell is currently on display at the Follett House Museum.


Separated Material: Separated Material


Indexing Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.

Subjects:

Private Clubs
Women's Clubs

Organizations/Corporations:

Art Study Club

Places:

Sandusky (Ohio)

Preferred Citation

The Art Study Club Records, Sandusky Library Archives Research Center

Acquisition Information

The bulk of this collection was donated to the Sandusky Library in 2009 by the president of the club.