History of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Association

The kindergarten movement in Cincinnati began in privately with the establishment of separate German-language and English-language kindergartens. By 1879, a group of wealthy women became concerned that the children in Cincinnati in most need of a kindergarten education, the poor, were unable to access such an education. These women, who included Mrs. Alonzo Taft and Miss Annie Laws, formed the Cincinnati Free Kindergarten Association. The association opened the first free English-language kindergarten and a training school for kindergarten teachers in March of 1880. The association later organized three other kindergartens in various parts of the city and agreed to supervise kindergartens established by various organizations throughout Cincinnati.

In 1905, the Cincinnati School Board began supporting kindergartens with public funds. Then in 1906, he Cincinnati Kindergarten Training School began an affiliation with the University of Cincinnati and its College for Teachers. Graduates of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Training School's two year certification program could continue their education at the University of Cincinnati and earn a four-year degree. The training school later became part of the University of Cincinnati, College of Education.