History of the Cincinnati Park Board

The City of Cincinnati formed the Board of Park Commissioners in 1906, and in 1907, the city adopted it's first park plan, "A Park System for the City of Cincinnati" by landscape architect, George Kessler. The city then embarked on an aggressive campaign of land acquisition, and by the 1920s, most of the parks recommeded in the 1907 plan were established including Mt. Airy Forest, Ault Park, and Mt. Storm Park. Enchancements were made to the parks in the 1930s and early 1940s as a result of federal funding during the Great Depression, In fact, half of the existing structures in Cincinnati's parks, including Krohn Conservatory, were built between 1929 and 1943. Although growth stalemated during World War II, construction began again in the 1950s and 1960s. By 2009, the Cincinnati Park Board managed more than 5,000 acres of city park land in the form of regional parks, neighborhood parks, natural areas, nature centers, parkways, scenic overlooks, and hiking and riding trails.