Guide to the All Saints Parish and School Collection

All Saints Parish and School Collection
Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati Archives
Phone: 513-347-5348
All Saints Parish and School
.25 linear feet
A collection of programs, news clippings, and other ephemera from the All Saints Parish and School in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The records are in English

History of All Saints Parish and School

All Saints Parish was known as a "Mother Church" in the East Third district in Cincinnati. It was a ministry of the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati for 75 years. Originally, it was the heart of the religious population working on the riverfront shipyards, lumber yards and mills. All Saints Parish was founded in 1845 in the riverfront district of Cincinnati originally known as Fulton. It was first located at the corner of Goodlow and Kemper Lanes (later East Third Street) in a Methodist Church purchased for the congregation. At this time, it was known as Christ Church. Father S. McMahon organized the Church in 1857. In 1862 Father D.B. Walker became Pastor. He was succeeded by Father J.F. Callaghan; D.D. Father McMahon was also passionate for the completion of the church and school. The Sisters of Charity taught in the school from 1851 to 1861, when it was close for lack of funds. The 3 Sisters were: Sister Ann Louise Hayes, Superior Sister Francina O'Brien Sister Clement Doyle In September of 1868, the school was reopened by Father J.F. Callaghan. The faculty consisted of: Sister Beatrice Hastings, Superior Sister Irene Campbell Sister Magdalen Cooper Sister Kostka Corrigan Sister Austin Devine In 1869, Father John Bonner was appointed pastor. He erected a convent for the Sisters. In August of 1880, Father Bonner was succeeded by Father William Daly. Fr. Daly made many improvements while also clearing the parish of all debt. Around the turn of the century, the school is also referred to as All Hallows School. In 1903, the school was relocated to 1304 East Third and Collard Streets. Father James O'Keefe was the pastor and remained there until his death in 1925. For many years All Saints Church maintained its position as one of the first parishes in the archdiocese. A statue of the Blessed Virgin, within the church, was credited with miraculous healing powers. When the parish began to deteriorate, the statue was taken to the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati Motherhouse where it remains today (2015). Decline of the riverfront workforce, shifts in population distribution, and movement of hundreds of families for Columbia Parkway created the final demise of this spiritual landmark. In May of 1937 the Church and school were demolished. The last pastor was Rev. William Labodie. After June, 1934, the Sisters no longer lived on the premises. Two Sisters lived at St. Rose Convent and taught at All Saints School for a year. The Church and school closed in June of 1935. Sister Rose Gabriel, the Superior, Sister Marie Aloysia and Sister Mary Raphael were the last Sisters who lived in the convent at All Saints Parish.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of four file folders containing, in part, lists of faculty, entrants to the Sisters of Charity from the All Saints Parish, news clippings, programs, and a brief history of the Parish and School.

Statement of Arrangement

The arrangement adheres to the original order whenever possible.

Restrictions on Access and Use

Permission to use the collection can be obtained from the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati Congregational Archivist. External researchers need to complete a request form stating the purpose of their research and a list of collections to be consulted upon their visit, which must be approved by the Archivist prior to an on-site visit. If a researcher is unable to visit the Archives in person, the Archivist will conduct a minimum amount of research and provide scanned copies of some materials if requested.

Related Material: Related Material

Photos -- 8 Box 1 in repository Can be viewed in notebook 1 Material on this mission may also be included among our oral history and presentation transcription collections. Please consult with the Congregational Archivist if you would like to explore and possibly utilize these collections.

Indexing Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.


Catholic Church -- Education-- United States
Catholic Church -- Education-- United States -- History
Catholic schools -- United States
Catholic schools -- United States -- History
Church Schools
Church Schools-- History
Monasticism and religious orders for women -- Catholic Church -- History
Parishes -- History


Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Cincinnati (Ohio)
Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati


Cincinnati (Ohio)
Fulton (Hamilton County, Ohio)

Preferred Citation

All Saints Parish and School Collection, Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati Archives, Mount Saint Joseph, Ohio.

Detailed Description of The Collection

Box 1 / Folder 1
History of the All Saints Parish and School; History of the Miraculous Mother Statue, Currently Located in the SC Motherhouse Dining Room; Holy Cards--Rev. James A Burns, Rev. James T. O'Keefe, Rev. William Daly; Handwritten Obituary for Rev. James A. Burns; Printed Photographs of All Saints' Church and Rev. William Daly from Souvenir Album of American Cities: Catholic Churches of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Ohio; Timeline for All Saints Parish, 1896-2015

Box 1 / Folder 2
Souvenir of the All Hallows School Class of 1901 listing Faculty and Students; RSVPs for Dinner at the Parish House; Invitation--Ninetieth Anniversary Celebration of All Saints Parish, 1901

Box 1 / Folder 3
News Clippings--Demolition of All Saints' Church with Photographs; Excerpts from the Catholic Telegraph "50 Years Ago" column, 1936-1962

Box 1 / Folder 4
Lists of Superiors of All Saints School; Lists of Vocations from All Saints Parish; Lists of Sisters who served in All Saints Parish and School--Alphabetically by Last Name, Chronological, 2003